What is a roofer? Roofers build and maintain roofs. They install materials, such as cement and clay, and repair damaged parts to ensure safety. They may specialize in residential or industrial roofing.
Roofers build and maintain roofs. They install materials, such as cement and clay, and repair damaged parts to ensure safety. They may specialize in residential or industrial roofing.
What do roofers do?
Roofers construct and fix roofs using hand tools and other equipment (e.g. scaffolds). They ensure roofs are stable and waterproof. They also install insulation systems and vapor barriers.
Overall, roofer duties include:
- Building and repairing roofs
- Choosing tiles, wood shingles and other necessary roofing materials
- Ensuring roofing projects are delivered on time
What skills do you need to be a roofer?
Depending on the scope and location of the project, roofers can either hold a roofing apprenticeship or a relevant license, or be an individual contractor. Some also learn this job onsite with appropriate training from specialists. Roofing job responsibilities may include knowledge of materials and tactics required for roof work.
The position also requires stamina and balance as roofers often work at heights while operating various machinery and equipment. Roofers are also detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask.
When creating your own roofer job description, make sure to add these skills as requirements and modify them based on your needs.
- Location: 240 Beach Rd. Hamilton, ONL8L 4B2
- Salary: $32.00 to $39.00HOUR hourly for 37.5 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Overtime, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 9 vacancies
We are looking for an experienced roofer to join our team. You’ll construct safe and durable roofs and fix damaged parts such as, for example, broken shingles. You’ll install all materials in good order and set up systems, such as insulation and vapor barriers.
To succeed in this role, you should have the ability to use hand tools, such as shingle cutters and roofing hatchets, and stand on ladders and scaffolds for long hours at a time. You’ll also know how to handle materials (e.g. wood, asphalt) for different roofing styles and tasks.
- Build roofs using various materials and tools
- Deliver projects within timeline
- Inspect damages and estimate costs of labor
- Repair or replace broken materials
- Remove debris from roofs to place materials
- Smoothen roof surfaces and fill in edges with cement
- Ensure roofs protect buildings from weather conditions, such as rain or snow
- Use hand tools and other equipment (e.g. scaffold, ladder)
- Follow safety rules
- Set up vapor barriers and vents
- Install insulation and solar energy systems
- Restock roofing materials, such as clay and cement
No degree, certificate or diploma
2 years to less than 3 years
- Additional Skills
- Read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications; Erect and install scaffolding, falsework and other working platforms
- Area of Specialization
- Shingled roofs; Single ply sheet membrane roofing system; Modified roofing system
- Weight Handling
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Work Setting
- Institutional; Industrial; Commercial
- Own Tools/Equipment
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Work Site Environment
- Dangerous; Outdoors; At heights; Noisy; Dusty
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own transportation
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Hand-eye co-ordination; Bending, crouching, kneeling; Large workload
- Work Location Information
- Various locations
- Personal Suitability
- Team player; Dependability; Reliability
- Roofer Specific Skills
- Install, repair or replace built-up roofing systems using materials such as asphalt saturated felts and hot asphalt and gravel; Install, repair or replace single-ply roofing system using waterproof sheet materials such as modified plastics, elastomeric or other asphaltic compositions; Install, repair or replace shingles, shakes and other roofing tiles on sloped roofs of buildings; Install and repair metal roofs using hand and power tools
How to apply
240 Beach Rd. Hamilton , ON L8L 4B2
Who can apply for this job?
Only persons who are legally allowed to work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, do not apply as the employer will not consider your job application.