Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Department of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care
Professor/Associate Professor & Executive Head of Department (Professional equivalent Specialist/Head of a Clinical Department
Stellenbosch University is an inclusive, innovative & future focused institution, a place of discovery and excellence where both staff & students are thought leaders in advancing knowledge in the service of all stakeholders. In partnership with the Western Cape Government, Department of Health, we are seeking someone in this position who will provide vision & leadership to enhance our position as a leading Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences.
Appointment is on the joint establishment of Stellenbosch University & the Western Cape Government, Department of Health, on the conditions of service of Stellenbosch University.
Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty and the Chief Executive Officer Tygerberg Hospital respectively, the incumbent’s duties will include:
• Overall strategic leadership and operational management of the Department, giving expression to its vision of becoming a world-class centre for training, teaching & learning, clinical service, research and innovation in Anaesthesiology & Critical Care;
• Fostering an inclusive and collegial environment that encourages a high level of performance, communication & teamwork;
• Operational management of human resources and finances of the Department;
• Participating in clinical service delivery commitments of the Department, including commuted overtime at Tygerberg Hospital;
• Overall academic responsibility for teaching and learning, which includes guidance and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students in Anaesthesiology and Critical Care across the faculty’s distributed training platform;
• Overall responsibility for research and innovation which includes leading, mentoring and participating in the design, execution, supervision, publication and translation of research in priority areas;
• Actively participating in the internationalisation efforts of the University;
• Contributing to the goals and functioning of the University and the health department through active involvement in the senior management structures of the University and the Western Cape Provincial Government;
• Expanding and strengthening collaboration with health services, communities and other stakeholders.
• A relevant postgraduate qualification in Anaesthesiology and Critical Care;
• Registration/compliance with the criteria for registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as Specialist in Anaesthesiology;
• Proven management experience within an academic environment;
• Proven expertise and experience in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, training and supervision in Anaesthesiology and Critical Care;
• Proven independent research experience with publications and related research outputs;
• Experience of successful postgraduate supervision (minimum Master’s level);
• Proven management and leadership experience in academic or related environments.
• A doctoral degree or advanced stage of completing a Doctorate in Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, for appointment at Professor level;
• Successful PhD supervision;
• Success in securing research grants.
Commencement of duties: 1 October 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 30 August 2019
Enquiries regarding the job content: Prof. JA Volmink on 021 938 9200, or at [email protected]
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Division, Tygerberg Campus on 021 938 9636
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae(including the names and e-mail address of at least 3 referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at our website via the button below.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications & conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within 6 weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application didn’t succeed