Fruit or Nut Farm Workers perform routine tasks on fruit or nut farms, such as cultivating and fertilising soil, and planting, irrigating and pruning crops. They may spray chemicals on crops to treat disease and pests. … You can work as a Fruit or Nut Farm Worker without formal qualifications.
- 1) Drives and operates farm machinery to plant, cultivate, spray, and harvest fruit and nut crops, such as apples, oranges, strawberries, and pecans: Attaches farm implements, such as plow, planter, fertilizer applicator, and harvester to tractor and drives tractor in fields to prepare soil and plant, fertilize, and harvest crops.
- 2) Mixes chemical ingredients and sprays trees, vines, and grounds with solutions to control insects, fungus and weed growth, and diseases.
- 3) Removes excess growth from trees and vines to improve fruit quality, using pruning saws and clippers.
- 4) Irrigates soil, using portable-pipe or ditch system.
- 5) Picks fruit during harvest.
- 6) Drives truck or tractor to transport materials, supplies, workers, and products.
- 7) Makes adjustments and minor repairs to farm machinery.
- 8) May thin blossoms, runners, and immature fruit to obtain better-quality fruit.
- 9) May select, cut, and graft stock-wood onto tree stem or trunk to propagate fruit and nut trees.
- 10) May spray trees in spring to loosen and remove surplus fruit, and in fall to prevent early dropping and discoloration of fruit.
- 11) May prop limbs to prevent them from breaking under weight of fruit.
- 12) May start fans that circulate air or light smudge pots or torches to prevent frost damage.
- 13) May be identified with work being performed, such as picking, plowing, and spraying; or according to crop worked such as cherries, cranberries, lemons, or walnuts.
- Location: Elmira, ON
- Salary: $14.39HOUR hourly for 40 to 60 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Seasonal employment
- Start date: Start date 2022-05-09
- vacancies: 6 vacancies
No degree, certificate or diploma
- Specific Skills
- Plant, cultivate and irrigate crops; Operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment; Harvest crops; Fertilize and spray crops; Detect disease and health problems in crops, livestock and poultry
- Type of Product
- Deciduous trees
- Type of Farm Operations
- Fruit and vegetable combination farming
- Type of Crops
- Work Site Environment
- Outdoors; Wet/damp; Noisy; Dusty; Hot
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Attention to detail; Hand-eye co-ordination; Ability to distinguish between colours; Sitting; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Walking; Bending, crouching, kneeling; Tight deadlines
- Work Location Information
- Rural area; Staff accommodation provided
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Team player; Judgement; Organized
- Landscape and Horticulture Technicians and Specialists Specific Skills
- Fruit trees training; Tying; Weeding; Shoot positioning
22 Timber Trail Rd. Elmira, ON
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.